Dark Chocolate Pecan Nut Clusters
Chloe’s mother made peanut clusters when she was growing up. She loves them still. Unfortunately I react strongly to peanuts, so I adapted the concept.
- 3 parts (or more) cocoa powder
- 3 parts coconut oil
- 2 parts sunflower butter
- maple syrup to taste (1 part or more)
- chopped pecans
- Combine ingredients but nuts in a double boiler
- Add pecans until evenly distributed throughout the chocolate sauce. There should be enough nuts so they do not sink to the bottom.
- Drop clusters, one spoonful at a time, onto a parchment-paper-covered baking sheet and place in the freezer
- Enjoy when frozen, or not quite…
- Keep in the fridge or freezer
Adaptations & Notes: Depending on your palate, sunflower butter can give a bitter taste. Some people like it with dark chocolate. Adding more sweetener reduces the bitterness. Peanuts and peanut butter would also be delicious in this recipe (like Chloe’s mother’s original). Walnuts would also be good. You could try using almond butter but, personally, I think almond butter’s flavor washes out with dark chocolate and the intensities of both flavors are reduced. But I’ve never tried chocolate with raw almond butter…